The division's objectives are to provide a high level of safety in the various Public Works areas in the most efficient and economical way. The major focus of the division is safety, safety to the citizens, the public, and affected employees. Projects done by the division are done primarily to provide safe and healthy conditions throughout the city and to maintain safe conditions at the highest level. The main functions of the division are as follows:
- Preparation of plans and specifications
- Right of way appraisals and acquisitions
- Oversee the bidding process for Capital Outlay projects
- Administration, inspection, and construction of Capital Improvement Projects
- During construction, engineering staff inspects the work
Encroachment/Construction Permit (PDF)
Any construction, traffic control, etc. conducted in the public right-of-way requires an Encroachment/Construction Permit. Please view the Encroachment Permit Procedures (PDF) for more information on Encroachment/Construction Permits.
Transportation/Oversized Load Permit (PDF)
Any oversized vehicle traveling through the City of Irwindale requires a Transportation/Oversized Load Permit. Transportation Permits are processed for approval Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. If you need a Transportation Permit for Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, please ensure you submit your application before noon on the Thursday prior. Please view the Transportation/Overload Permit Procedures (PDF) for more information on Transportation/Oversized Load Permits, or contact the Engineering Department at (626) 430-2203 or (626) 430-2259.
- Encroachment/Construction Permits - (626) 430-2259 or (626) 430-2264
- Transportation/Oversized Load Permits - (626) 430-2203