Housing Element & General Plan Update
The City of Irwindale is preparing to update its current Housing Element for the 2021-2029 planning period, as mandated by State Law.
PLEASE TAKE A QUICK SURVEY!
The current Irwindale Housing Element was certified by HCD in 2013 and shall serve as a foundation for updating the Housing Element. The Housing element will be updated to include the policies, strategies, and actions that the City will undertake to facilitate the construction of new housing and preservation of existing housing to meet the The needs of the population. The updated Housing Element must address the City’s Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA) allocation. The current adopted Housing Element covers the period 2013-2021 and must be updated for the next planning cycle (6th Cycle) covering the period 2021-2029. A copy of the current Housing Element is available on the City website.
In addition to the Housing Element update, the City of Irwindale is updating the Safety Element of the General Plan and the other Elements as needed for consistency. The General Plan update also includes an Environmental Justice Element and policies in compliance with SB1000.
The City of Irwindale has the following objectives for the Housing Element Update
- Comply with all City and State legal and regulatory requirements.
- A complete analysis of the specific housing needs and an inventory of the resources and constraints relevant to addressing the housing needs;
- An inventory of land suitable for residential development to meet the City’s housing needs;
- Identification and analysis of potential and actual governmental constraints;
- Identification of specific programs to implement the policies and goals; and
- Other analysis, policies, and goals required to comply with applicable State law.
- Produce a comprehensive document that addresses current and projected housing conditions and needs in the City.
- Ensure residents and stakeholders are engaged and participate in the update process.
- Achieve milestones with sufficient time for City and state oversight and review.
- Effectively coordinate with other consultants and City Staff.
For additional information and resources on the preparation of the 2021-2029 Housing Element please see below. To stay up-to-date on the latest information regarding the process, please check this website on a regular basis and sign up to receive listserv email messages.
Housing Element Resource Information - Coming Soon!
Marilyn Simpson, AICP - Community Development Director - Email Marilyn Simpson
Brandi Jones, Senior Planner - Email Brandi Jones
Lisa Chou, Associate Planner - Email Lisa Chou